Thursday, September 26, 2013

I. The End of All Things

I HAVEN'T WRITTEN anything in a while.  It’s time to start again.

I enjoy writing.  I want to write.  I have a lot to say.  But I can’t say it, for the most part; at least not in a public forum.  My employer frowns on it, and that’s okay.  I get it.

I can’t write about politics, or economics, or current events, because that would mean inflecting my opinion, which is kind of a no-no as far as my company’s social media policy goes, even for personal writings.

I’m hesitant to write about religion, because I’ll just offend everyone.

I shouldn’t write about sports or video games, because nobody cares what I have to say in those arenas.  (Actually, I do write about video games, using a pseudonym, for a video game website, in their user’s blogging forum.  It’s fun.  But I don’t share it, because, again, hardly anyone I know personally is interested in video games.)

And yet, like an artist without a canvas or a musician without an instrument, I am bursting with creativity, longing to put pen to paper, figuratively, or realistically, fingers to keyboard.

Truly, though, I flatter myself, for I am no linguistic artist.  I will never win a literary award, and I don’t really think I could write a book.  Not right now, anyway.

But the yearning is still there.  I can’t fulfill it by writing news items at work; those have too many rules.  Nor is writing a little-read video games blog validating my urges.

So here I am, again, on my personal blog.

I don’t know where to start.

Eventually, I turn to my best friend, the one whom I find to be the most insightful person on Earth.

“Emmy,” I say, “What should I write?”

She stares back at me.

I have my answer.