Monday, February 25, 2013

Wish List

Walt Disney Pictures
WHEN YOU WISH upon a star, you are wasting your time, because stars are non-sentient balls of burning gas, mostly hydrogen.  Likewise, “genies”, derived from Islam’s jinn or “demons”, are of course not real and therefore cannot fulfill our desires for us.

Setting aside the wonderful work done by the Make-a-Wish foundation, wishes are just that - unsatisfied wants and needs.

It has, however, occurred to me that in the event I am incorrect and a metaphysical being or apparition appears and offers you the chance to have any wish granted -- even just one -- there is only one correct answer:

More wishes.

Yes, I know; in most cases of literature and entertainment, the wish-granter sets down ground rules prohibiting that sort of thing.  But a little wordplay can get us around that.  I can’t wish for more wishes, you say?  Then I wish for you to give me the ability to fulfill my own wishes.  Alternatively, I wish for omnipotence.  Can’t do even that?  Fine.  Grant me unlimited resources.  I’ll just make my wishes come true with infinite wealth (which, of course, would utterly destroy the global economy, but let’s not get in to that right now.)

My second wish would be for immortality, with the third wish being the ability to end my own immortality at any time of my choosing.  I imagine being unable to die would be a horrible fate around the time the earth is destroyed.

Everything after that is just gravy.


WATCH THIS
A long-time semi-pro marathon runner just ran his last race.  He’s officially retired.  Did I mention he’s 101 years old?